Sailing into calmer waters? Cautious optimism returns
The Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers, Greek Branch held its 13th Annual Forum, on Wednesday, 29 th of November 2017 at Eugenides Foundation.
The title was: « Sailing into calmer waters? Cautious optimism returns » and the Forum was well attended by over 400 shipping professionals – from the Greek and International shipping community.
A welcome address was made by Mrs Natalia Margioli – Komninou, FICS, Managing Director of the ICS Greek Branch and Hellenic Management Centre and Mr Nicolas A. Tsavliris, FICS, Chairman of the ICS Greek Branch and of the Tsavliris Salvage Group.
This year the distinguished speakers were part of a Q&A session where they were called to answer questions related to the field of their practice. The eminent personalities that constituted the panel and gave their valuable views on current shipping issues were:
- Mr Konstantinos Bitounis, FICS, Solicitor, Piraeus office Manager, Waterson Hicks
- Ms Amalia Miliou- Theocharaki, MICS, Chartering Manager, TEO Shipping Corporation Ltd
- Mr Menelaos Pangalos, MICS Managing Director Chios Navigation (Hellas) Ltd
- Mr Peter Sand, Chief Shipping Analyst, BIMCO
- Mrs Katerina Stathopoulou, Executive Director, Investments & Finance Ltd.
- Mr Simon Ward, FICS, Director, Ursa Shipbrokers
- Mr Adrian Wooldridge, MICS, Chief Commercial Officer, Navios Maritime Acquisition Corporation
- Mr Fotios Zeritis, FICS Commercial Shipping & Strategic Planning Analyst, Qatar Gas Transport Company
The panel moderator was Mr Ilias Bissias, Director of Naftika Chronika
At the end of the Q&A session, there was an impressively interactive discussion between the audience and the panel, proving the fact that the ICS Annual Forum is not only a meeting point of shipping professionals but a place of exchanging ideas and learn from each other.
Once again, the year’s proceedings included the Awards Giving Ceremony for the students that excelled at the ICS Examinations in November 2016 and May 2017.
The ICS Greek Branch was recognised for the fourth time for being once again the largest examination centre in the world with the most students participating at the ICS Examinations. More than 500 shipping executives attended the ICS Professional Training Programmes and took the ICS Examinations. This year 8 candidates have distinguished in their exams and were awarded for their efforts and achievements.
The awarded candidates were:
- Ms Alexia Adrianopoulos, Cape Maritime, distinction in Ship Sale & Purchase examination
- Ms Froso Alvanou, Regal Agencies, distinction in Shipping Business examination
- Mrs Dimitra Gelti, Attorney-at-Law and Mediator, excellent performance in Marine Insurance Examinations within the Greek Branch
- Mr Ioannis Ioannides, Ursa Shipbrokers distinction in Ship Sale & Purchase examination
- Mrs Christina Karasarli, Eastern Mediterranean Maritime Limited, distinction in Shipping Finance examination
- Mr George Kefalos, distinction in Shipping Finance examination
Also, two Greek Students were distinguished internationally, achieving the highest marks worldwide:
Mr Dimitris Lamprou, Super Eco Management, for achieving the highest mark worldwide in Ship Sale & Purchase examination
Mrs Eleni Mavrea, distinction in Ship Sale & Purchase examination, highest mark worldwide in Shipping Law and in Dry Cargo Chartering examination
These two students and were also awarded during the Prize Giving Ceremony held in the Trinity House of London in October 2017.
The 13th Annual Forum of the ICS Greek Branch was held with the kind contribution and support of the following sponsors:
Acropolis Chartering & Shipping Inc., Capital Ship Management Corp., Cass Technava Maritime S.A., Danaos Corporation, Eastern Mediterranean Maritime Ltd., Element Shipmanagement S.A., European Product Carriers Ltd., Gac Shipping S.A., Gregale (Dry Bulk) Shipping, Hellaschart Ltd., Hollman Fenwick Willan International, Navios Maritime Holdings Inc, S. Frangoulis Shipmanagement, Seanergy Maritime Holdings Corp., Springfield Shipping Co Panama S.A., Super Eco Tankers Management Inc., Target Marine S.A., The Marshall Islands Registry, Technomar Shipping Inc., Tsavliris Salvage Group, Tsakos Energy Navigation
Source: Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS)