Shaping the Future of Shipping
Date(s) - 09/12/2023 - 10/12/2023
8:00 am - 5:45 pm
Museum of the Future
Shaping the Future of Shipping: Delivering a Net Zero World will convene leaders across the maritime and energy value chain with government representatives, regulators and policymakers for the flagship maritime event during COP28 in Dubai.
Organised by a coalition of leading maritime industry bodies and coordinated by the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) in partnership with the Emirates Shipping Association, the annual Shaping the Future of Shipping Summit will be hosted under the patronage of the United Arab Emirates Ministry for Energy and Infrastructure on 10 December at the Museum of the Future.
The Summit will provide a platform for governments and leaders in energy, maritime, and all parts of the value chain, to discuss practical solutions for infrastructure, fuel availability, and financing, and how to prepare the maritime workforce to accelerate the transition to a low and zero carbon emission economy, to deliver a sustainable and equitable future for all.
The 2023 UNFCCC Climate Conference COP28 in Dubai is a key milestone on the pathway to global decarbonisation, being the halfway point between the landmark 2015 Paris Agreement and 2030 and represents a significant opportunity to assess progress and plan future actions. This event will build on the new revised strategy agreed by the United Nations shipping regulator and the discussions at COP28, to set a course for the industry.
The Museum of the Future is a fitting venue for such an important event. The vision encapsulated in this stunning building dedicated to showcasing a positive future for the world will ensure that leaders will be focused on delivering solutions and opportunity.
The Shaping the Future Summit presents a key opportunity for industry leaders to meet and discuss with government representatives, regulators and policymakers at the negotiations, and to seek the high-level political support needed to ensure progress of the industry’s decarbonisation activities. The Summit is organised in partnership with the Emirates Shipping Association.
Shaping the Future of Shipping will…
- Provide a flagship point of contact for the shipping industry at COP28 to showcase its leadership on decarbonising the industry to the COP28 delegates.
- Address key strategic issues in shipping’s rapidly evolving decarbonisation journey.
- Draw in influential stakeholders including high-level policymakers, government and industry representatives, leaders of international organisations and regulators who are attending COP28, including the
- Secretary General and Secretary General elect of the International Maritime Organization.
- Enable influential stakeholders to understand what shipping is doing to improve the sustainability of the industry and to set a clear direction of travel for the development of the regulatory environment, catalyse investment in people, unlock finance and R&D to accelerate the just transition towards a just and equitable net zero future.