Minister Pitt explores port technology supporting resource exports
OMC International recently hosted the Hon. Keith Pitt MP, Minister for Resources, Water and Northern Australia at its head office, where Minister Pitt was given an overview of OMC’s Dynamic Under Keel Clearance technology. This world leading, locally developed e-navigation and port optimisation software provides enormous benefits to Australia’s ports and shipping industries.
The primary applications of DUKC® are to:
1. Ensure the safety and prevent groundings of vessels transiting a port or waterway;
2. Increase the sailing drafts (i.e. cargo) on a vessel, thereby reducing freight costs;
3. Reduce environmental impacts through:
a. Optimising vessel arrival times at ports thereby minimising vessel emissions,
b. Reducing the number of vessels required to carry export cargo volumes; and
c. Minimising dredging requirements.
4. Increase the available sailing window for a vessel, thereby reducing port congestion and wait times, and increasing port throughput and efficiency;
5. Facilitate larger vessel classes into Australian ports, thereby maintaining their competitiveness and minimising costs for industry.
The value of DUKC® to Australia’s resource sector is significant, with approximately 98% of iron ore exports, 99% of alumina shipments, 90% of coal exports, 77% of bauxite shipments, and 76% of crude imports benefiting from the efficiencies delivered by DUKC®. For example, DUKC® can increase the available draft of a vessel by up to 1m without the need for dredging. To put this in perspective, DUKC® increases the throughput of iron ore through the Pilbara ports of Port Hedland, Dampier and Cape Lambert by up to 10%. With the value of iron ore exports expected to exceed $100 billion, DUKC® could provide the equivalent of $10b per annum in additional revenue.
Furthermore, by shipping the same volume on fewer vessels, DUKC® reduces the CO2 emissions of these exports by 1.2m tonnes per annum; equivalent to taking approximately 255,000 cars off the road. “It’s great to see innovative Australian technology delivering world class safety and huge economic value for our resources sector,” Minister Pitt said. “Resource and energy exports are vital to Australia’s economy and it’s essential to ensure safety of shipping whilst optimising throughput. DUKC® is facilitating ports to achieve this.”
Source: OMC International