Rodolphe Saadé to accompany French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe during his official visit to China
CMA CGM and China:
– A historical relation since 1992
– A strong presence: more than 3,000 collaborators based in China, 88 maritime services, one ship leaving China every 3 hours
– Numerous partnerships signed with Chinese companies, making CMA CGM one of the first French companies in China
CMA CGM Group is pleased to announce that Rodolphe Saadé, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Group, accompanies French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe during his official visit to the Popular Republic of China.
On this occasion, Edouard Philippe and Rodolphe Saadé will board on the CMA CGM T. ROOSEVELT, one of the largest ships symbolizing the exchanges between France and China, during its stop at the terminal of Yangshan on Saturday June 23rd.
CMA CGM Group is in fact among the main French companies present in China due to its historical foothold and many partnerships signed with Chinese companies.
CMA CGM, one of the first transport and logistics companies in China
CMA CGM Group is today one of the first French companies present in China and one of the shipping industry’s leaders in this country, with:
- 3,200 collaborators based in China,
- 88 maritime services calling 16 Chinese ports,
- Every 3 hours, a CMA CGM ship leaves China heading to the rest of the world.
CMA CGM is also present in China by its participation in CEVA. In partnership with SAIC, China’s first car manufacturer, CEVA is the first car logistics operator in China. It realizes more than $1 billion of sales revenue and employs nearly 20,000 employees on Chinese soil.
A unique history between CMA CGM and China
Having anticipated the major role of China in the global economy, Jacques Saadé, Founding President of the Group, decided to open a first commercial desk in Shanghai in 1992. He trusted a Chinese university professor specialized in maritime law for the launching of this first agency, and for constituting the network of desks necessary for the commercial development of CMA CGM in China.
Since then emerged a trustworthy relationship between CMA CGM and China, as reflected by the venue of Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang in 2015, or the visit of the Mayor of Shanghai at the Group’s headquarters in Marseilles in 2017. As a matter of fact, CMA CGM is called “Da Fei” by the Chinese, or “the one who goes forward”. This trustworthy relationship is also reflected through the numerous partnerships signed.
Major partnerships between CMA CGM Group and Chinese companies
- Shipyards: China State Shipbuilding Corporation will build the Group’s next nine 22,000 TEU-ships. These vessels will be propelled by LNG (Liquified Natural Gas). The LNG choice for these giant ships represents a global premiere and a major step forward for the protection of the environment,
- Containers construction: every new CMA CGM container is bought from the China International Marina Containers Group (CIMC),
- Maritime Alliance: Along with the Chinese COSCO, CMA CGM initiated Ocean Alliance, the largest operational maritime alliance,
- Terminals: CMA CGM is associated to China Merchants for port terminals.
In terms of digital, CMA CGM invested in several investment funds managed by Cathay Capital and hence finances Chinese start-ups in various domains such as e-commerce, intelligent cars or connected objects.
The presence of CMA CGM in China is then that of a maritime transport and logistics leader focused on new technologies.
CMA CGM, first exportation medium of French products towards China
Every year, approximately 500,000 tons of goods are carried from France to China by CMA CGM.
The CMA CGM Group carries various and numerous products representing the specificity of the French economy from French ports to China:
- Cosmetics and fragrances,
- Dairy products,
- Agri-food products,
- Pork and fishery transported in refrigerated containers,
- Industrial equipment,
Source: CMA CGM