Smart Operations: Driving A Lower Carbon Future – Call For Papers
The Society for Underwater Technology (SUT), The Hydrographic Society in Scotland (THSIS) and The International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA) are jointly holding their annual online seminar in November 2021, with the theme ‘Smart Operations: Driving a Lower Carbon Future’.
As the trio of societies explain:
“Our members businesses continue to operate in mature regions – stable, predictable environments that can generate significant revenue. How they maximise profitability today is a significant contributor to funding lower carbon initiatives.
“Mature regions expect a reduction of large greenfield projects – with operator focus shifting toward smart operations: efficient exploration methods, short cycle projects and lower OPEX. This promotes lower development costs, standardised infrastructure and increased utilisation driving production costs down.
“Our members’ challenge is to deliver developments in the most efficient & sustainable way possible, maximising value today, tomorrow and for the future.”
Abstracts of 150 words are invited considering the following topics of interest to members of all three societies, with the aim of providing a 20-minute presentation.
Today’s challenges are to promote ‘Infrastructure Led Exploration and Development’ by considering:
- Data led decision-making
- Brown-field remote sensing & detection
- Enhanced Oil Recovery
- Conversion of legacy data to digital
- Reservoir monitoring techniques
- Re-purposing facilities
Tomorrow’s challenges focus on delivering continued value more efficiently from existing facilities by considering:
- Standard tie-back approaches
- Life extension / condition monitoring /inspection
- Carbon footprint of operating, maintaining, and servicing new & existing infrastructure
- Basin data lakes
- Economics / effective investment, how and where are the decisions made?
Future challenges could unlock further value, through reducing cost and risk by considering:
- Un-crewed facilities and vessels
- Subsea from shore – remote operations and interventions
- Simplifying commercial arrangements
- Decarbonising vessel operations
- Infrastructure sharing agreements
- Subsea power generation & storage
- Robotics & Level of Autonomy