Home / Commodities / Commodity News / US coal output falls 2% week on week, rises 2.2% on year: EIA

US coal output falls 2% week on week, rises 2.2% on year: EIA

US coal production totaled an estimated 13.8 million st in the week that ended April 28, down 2% from the prior week, but up 2.2% compared with the year-ago week, US Energy Information Administration data showed.

Production was down again, after a 6.4% jump last week, across all the regions. Illinois Basin recorded the highest decline in production at 5.4%.

S&P Global Platts Analytics estimates utility stockpiles for the week that ended April 26 at 119 million st, a slight increase of 0.2% from the week prior, but a decrease of 29% compared with the same week in 2017. The marginal increase in inventories was due to a drop in coal consumption.

Based on EIA estimates through the first 17 weeks of the year, annualized US coal production in 2018 would total 759 million st, a drop of 1.6% compared with 2017.

For the most recent week, coal production in Wyoming and Montana, which primarily consists of coal from the Powder River Basin, totaled an estimated 6.2 million st, down 1.1% compared with last week, but up 7.3% from the year-ago week.

On an annualized basis, coal production in Wyoming and Montana would total 340 million st, down 3.8% from 2017.

In Central Appalachia, weekly coal production totaled an estimated 1.8 million st, down 4.5% from last week but up 3.5% year on year. If annualized, production so far in 2018 would total 96.8 million st, up 8% from 2017.

In Northern Appalachia, weekly coal production totaled an estimated 1.8 million st, up 0.3% from last week but down 3.6% compared with the year-ago week. The region’s production in 2018, if annualized, would total 102.4 million st, a drop of 1.7% from 2017.

In the Illinois Basin, weekly coal production totaled an estimated 1.8 million st, down 5.4% from last week and 3.6% from last year. Its annualized production would total 103.4 million st, up 0.1% from 2017.
Source: Platts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

captcha

Please enter the CAPTCHA text

Recent Videos

Hellenic Shipping News Worldwide Online Daily Newspaper on Hellenic and International Shipping